The Fortress of Salses dates from the end of the 15th century. Built by the Spanish to keep their border with France, north of Catalonia, it was designed to undergo and use the artillery ball. The architecture of this stronghold is characterized by a rigorous geometry, very thick walls and a deep depression in the ground.
It became French during the cession of Roussillon by the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659.
Fortress of Salses P.P. 35, 66600 SALSES-LE-CHÂTEAU