PRIEURE SANTA MARIA DEL VILAR
The priory was founded in 1083 by a community of Augustinian canons at the foot of the Albères. The monks transformed a building dating from the Carolingian period into a hospital for pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela and added a church and a cloister. They adorn the main apse with sublime frescoes (11th - 12th): the liveliness of the colours, like the scenes and motifs depicted, are quite surprising.
The canons will occupy the priory until the 14th century, when they are secularized. In 1802, the buildings were sold to a farmer for agricultural use. The church becomes a stable, the hospital room, a pigsty. The place will be abandoned in 1942 and will very quickly be buried under lush vegetation.
The set was purchased in 1993 by Mrs. Triadou who, with the help of a hundred volunteers, undertook restoration work. Today, a lyrical festival is held there every year: secular and religious songs.
Priory now classified as a Historic Monument, founded in 1083, it includes a Romanesque church, a cloister gallery (converted into a museum), the remains of the fortification walls, the remains of a first church with remarkable painted decorations from the XNUMXth century. century.
|Opening hours from January 01 to December 31, 2024