La Tour de la Massane
A “classic” of hiking in the Pyrénées-Orientales which offers an exceptional panorama!
1. From the car park, take the road for 150 m, then turn left.
2. Do not cross the ford, but take the track on the left which runs along the surrounding wall of the Château de Valmy. At Mas Peyrot, follow the path on the left. Reach higher on a track; take it on the left. Reach an intersection where you have to climb the path which climbs through the cork oaks to reach the Cova de l'Alarb dolmen.
3. Continue uphill to reach a crossroads. Take the second path on the left, cross the track, then turn right and left again. At the dolmen dels Collets de Cotlliure (274 m), continue on the path which goes up to the track (363 m). Turn left, cross the crossroads, then, about ten meters after a reservoir, reach the start of the path on the right.
4. Embark on this upward path. Higher up, cross the track again and pass, further on, under a high voltage line. Come out on the track (Coll del Camp d'en Selva – 489 m) and stay on it until it ends. There, take the path on the left which passes in front of Font Sant Andreu.
5. Turn right towards the Massane tower and follow the path along the ridge. From the tower (exceptional panoramic view, 793 m, be careful in case of strong wind), first head back due north, then go down to Coll del Pomer (554 m). There, leave the path which goes left to continue to the Roc del Grill crossroads (532 m).
At this point the IGN map shows you a path towards Lavail which is neither marked nor passable. The descent to Lavail is via the Roc del Grill.
6. Go right, then go down until reaching a new intersection (380 m). Ignore the path which goes to the right and continue straight on. Further down, reach a crossroads and a track near the mas d'en Pardès (ruins). Take the first path on the right which goes to Chapelle St-Laurent.
7. Opposite the door of the chapel a path goes down and arrives at the DFCI AL track No. 39. Go down, pass in front of the Mas de La Monja and continue to the Mas Blanc. Follow the road which leads to the Valmy castle park car park.